Arcevia, the village of the nine castles.
Medieval atmospheres, artistic treasures and architectural jewels co-exist in Arcevia. A beautiful town with prehistoric origin, perched on a rocky spur.
We are on the Cischiano mountain, a few kilometers from Senigallia. In this territory, between the 11th and 14th centuries, there were built 9 castles: Avacelli, Castiglioni, Caudino, Loretello, Montale, Nidastore, Palazzo, Piticchio and San Pietro. Settlements of rural origin, born to provide refuge to the populations who lived in the countryside and to oversee all the territory. Nowadays these castles still have the defensive walls, the doors and the towers, where you can still find traces of ancient battles. An unchanged charm over the centuries, a place where history, art and devotion are strictly connected.
WORTH TO SEE
Arcevia has a rich artistic heritage, which preserves an extraordinary concentration of Della Robbia works, the Florentine artist family who lived between the 15th and 17th centuries. In the Collegiata di San Medardo, in the center, there is a majestic altar of Giovanni Della Robbia, with a beautiful glazed crucifix by Mattia Della Robbia. The glazed terracotta altar, built between 1510 and 1513, was commissioned by two eremites from Siena to the Florentine workshop of Giovanni della Robbia. It’s still considered one of the fundamental stages of the Florentine artist's career.
the nativity scene made by the Marche workshop is remarkable, as well as the two Della Robbia statues, Santa Caterina and La Maddalena, in the Collegiata. On the inside, you can admire two extraordinary works by the great Renaissance artist Luca Signorelli, the Polyptych of S. Medardo (1507) and the Baptism of Christ (1508).
The wood furnitures carved by Leonardo Scaglia and Francesco Giglioni are excellent, as well as the numerous works by Ercole Ramazzani, a local artist who was the favourite of Lorenzo Lotto, including the Baptism of Christ (1593) and the Last Judgment (1597).
Furthermore, there are some works by Claudio Ridolfi il Veronese, disciple of Barocci (XVII century), and the Madonna del Rosario with the blessed Domenico and Caterina da Siena (1642), masterpiece of Simone Cantarini il Pesarese (1612 – 1648), student of Guido Reni.
In the church there is a panel of Piergentile da Matelica and Venanzio da Camerino depicting a Madonna with Child, Saint Anna, Saint Joseph and Saint Gioacchino (1529).
Santa Maria del Soccorso hosts the glazed altar depicting the Annunciation, created by Mattia Della Robbia, while in the Church of San Lorenzo di Avacelli there is a Crucifix and a spectacular painted terracotta altar depicting the Madonna of the Rosary and of Mercy, work of a Marche workshop influenced by Della Robbia.
The Cultural Center of San Francesco, in the ancient convent, preserves the Renaissance cloister and the splendid church, while in the basement there is a conference room with some exhibition spaces, created from the monastery ancient cellars. On the ground floor there is the State Archeological Museum, which collects materials from the archaeological sites on this territory, covering the period from prehistory to the Roman age. There are three main rooms: in the first one, there are the artefacts of the lithic industry of Ponte di Pietra (20,000 years ago), dating back to the Upper Paleolithic; in the second room, there are the materials of the defensive moat of Conelle (IV millennium BC), dating back to the Eneolithic. Among the ceramic products exhibited there are the doliums and the characteristic jugs. In the third room, there are the products form Cava Giacometti, dated back to the final bronze (XII-X century BC). The last part of the museum is dedicated to the Gallic sepulcher (IV-II century BC) and to the sanctuary of Montefortino - the two tombs are visible in the museum of Arcevia and in the Museum of New York. On the first floor of the Cultural Center, there is the Historical Archive, which is the most important of the Marche with its 1800 parchments from the 13th and 14th centuries. The Municipal Library permanently hosts the works of three great artists of the '900: Quirino Ruggeri, Edgardo Mannucci and Bruno d'Arcevia.